Hello everyone I am Josh D, the new Staff Writer here at A Winning Habit. To get things started I would like to layout my top 5 Habs prospects and why they are ranked where they are. Below is the list of the top 5 prospects who I think have the best opportunity of making a NHL career, and also 5 other notables. Here is a small background before we begin; making it to the NHL is not all about skill, finesse and star power, or even recognition, moreover athletes that perform with power, heart, talent and strong work ethic usual prevail over others. But don’t get me wrong having talent and skill certainly helps but if you don’t have the work ethic or heart to put it to work then it is pretty much usless.
Here is the top 5 players that I think have the best chance at making a solid NHL career.
1. Alex Galchenyuk – Alex is a fair sized hockey player that oozes talent, skill, strength and everything else you would want in a NHL ready playmaker. Galchenyuk probably has lots more to show us in the near future, and still has lots of time to grow. Alex undoubtedly has the best chance out of all the Habs prospects to have a great NHL career and is the best prospect in this Montreal Canadiens Organization. Alex is most likely going to play in Sarnia for this upcoming season, but you never know.
2. Jarred Tinordi – Jarred is a monster of a defensemen that leaves no prisoners alive. Hulking at 6’7″ 212lbs and growing, Tinordi is arguably the best defense prospect in the Canadiens depth chart. Jarred plays with heart and soul, he blocks shots, throws his body around, drops the gloves and once in a while contributes offensively. I believe Jarred will have a long NHL career as a top 4 defensemen possibly top 2 at his climax. Tinordi is slated to start in the AHL this year with the Hamilton Bulldogs.
3. Nathan Beaulieu – Nathan, much like PK Subban is an excellent offensive defense men. Nathan is easily the best puck moving defensemen in the prospect pool and has a unique character. Beaulieu has good size and displays great athleticism, speed and creativity. Nathan is that kind of semi-impact player he can bring energy and excitement game in game out. I think Nathan can be a top 3 defense men on any team and will have an explosive NHL career. Beaulieu is expected to be with the Hamilton Bulldogs this coming year but still possible he sticks in junior.
4. Louis Leblanc – Louis is the definition of a traditional two-way hard working winger. Leblanc is closely comparable to Plekanec who is also a excellent two-way player but still exerts good offense. Louis has the most intelligent hockey IQ out of any of the Habs prospects, he is way ahead of many other 21 year old’s and has good execution. Leblanc at his best could be a top six player either on a 1st or 2nd line, but could also play a third line role as a defense shut down forward. Louis has great versatility while being very reliable in all zones of the ice. He is expected to make a crack at a top 9 role on the Habs roster this year.
5. Brendan Gallagher – Brendan is a smaller player with the fight, tenacity and heart of a big player. Brendan is one of those Gionta/St.Louis type players that play big and are not afraid to go to the net. Gallagher has shown that he has a knack for scoring goals aswell as grinding it out in the corners in and around the goal crease. He is one of those players that give it their all in every shift. I can easily see Gallagher competing along side Palushaj and Geoffrion for a 4th line position with the big club, but may very well play with Hamilton before making the big jump.
Morgan Ellis, Danny Kristo, Sebastian Collberg, Michael Bournival and Patrick Holland and Dalton Thrower.